History of Conference Room Names
Darwin Central Hotel continues to acknowledge Darwin’s history by naming the three conference rooms - Smith, Knuckey and Mitchell, after the three main streets surrounding the hotel – Knuckey, Smith and Mitchell Streets.
Named after Richard Randall KNUCKEY, one of the many surveyors whose names were perpetuated in Darwin (Palmerston) streets by George W. Goyder on his 1869 survey expedition to the Northern Territory. Knuckey arrived in South Australia in 1849 from Cornwall, England. At an early age he joined the Survey Department as a chainman and was later appointed Cadet Surveyor. In 1868 he was engaged by Goyder as a Second Class Surveyor for his survey expedition which arrived in Port Darwin on 5 February 1869. Knuckey was with A J Mitchell's No. 1 party during the survey. Following the survey work Knuckey was appointed Overseer of Section A (Charlotte Waters) of the Overland Telegraph Line construction party. He remained with the Telegraph Department until he retired in 1889. Knuckey died in 1914 in Adelaide.
Named after AJ Mitchell, leading surveyor in charge of the No. 1 Party and second in command of Goyder’s Expedition of 1869. The name Mitchell Street West was adopted by the committee in 1954 in lieu of McKay Street. Mitchell Street West became just Mitchell Street.
Named after AH Smith, 1st class surveyor in charge of No. 3 Party in GM Goyders Expedition of 1869 (previously known as Smith Street West prior to 1st July 1970 and prior to 1954, Beetson Street)